Tuesday, November 10, 2009

A special occasion breakfast...

Sometimes foods bring memories. You smell something cooking and it takes you back to a specific moment in you life. This breakfast casserole does that exact thing for me. My mom only made this casserole on Christmas morning.(well the night before, but cooked it on Christmas morning) and there is only one other time I can remember her making it and that was for the morning of my wedding. I am sure she made it sometimes in between, but it is something I associate with the holidays.

Egg Souffle Casserole
*** make this the night before***

Remove crust from 8 slices of white bread
2 Cups grated sharp cheddar cheese 6 eggs beaten
2 cups milk 1/2 t. salt
1/2 stick melted butter

Beat eggs and add milk, salt, butter. Put 4 slices of bread in lightly greased 8x8 casserole and sprinkle with half of the cheese. Top with another layer of bread and other half of cheese. Pour egg and milk mixture over top and put in refrigerator over night. Bake at 325 for 1 hour.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Lauren, ever tried this with whole wheat bread? Might be quite healthy that way - and just as tasty! Just wondering.

    ReplyDelete